Thursday, February 24, 2011

Get Focused, Find Purpose, Be More Effective...Here's A Thought.

This week I'm going to depart from my discussion on endurance in the traditional sense and take some time to go in a little different direction. I think we have all experienced days where we can't seem to get focused and/or organized no matter how hard we try, the day just feels lost. Then there are days when everything seems to click, we have a feeling super efficiency and productivity...why can't everyday be like this? Well, we all have off days, even off weeks at times but there are techniques that can help "right the ship" so to speak.

I recently came across a new phrase (new to me at least) that re-affirmed an old concept, I love when the old is made new. The phrase was "day-righting". I have heard this before as "morning ritual", etc, but I just seemed to like the way "day-righting" sounded.

Whatever you want to call it, take your pick, "day-righting" is just a way to help yourself get your mind and body prepared for the day that lies ahead. I sometimes find that days have flown by that have lacked focus or specific purpose. This is not to say those days aren't incredibly busy, in fact I would love a day that didn't feel jam packed with one thing or another. I think a lot of us spend our time being and feeling busy, but at the same time we lack effectiveness, focus and purpose? I imagine that much fewer of us can say yes to the latter (yes we lack focus), but I bet just about all of us can say "yup, I sure was busy today". So I am challenging myself to be less busy from day to day while striving to be more focused and effective with my most precious items...time and relationships.

So my strategy is to employ this concept of "day-righting" to help my cause. As I mentioned above the strategies may be different for each of us, but hopefully have a similar outcome...leading to a more focused day even if it means waking up 15-20 minutes earlier. I am going to go back to something I did once upon a time and ask myself a few questions each morning I took from a Tony Robbins book in high school. I found they really helped me get focused and provided purpose each morning. Here's a quick overview:

What am I happy about in my life now?

What am I excited about in my life now?

What am I proud about in my life now?

What am I grateful about in my life now?

What am I enjoying most in my life right now?

What am I committed to in my life right now?

Who do I love? Who loves me?

(Who do you Love!?)

Some people may find "day-righting" effective in other ways like spending a few minutes journaling, meditating, exercising, spending a few minutes breathing or simply in silence. There is no right or wrong way/technique as long as the result is a more focused and effective you.

If you have read this post and have your own "day-righting" routine or are thinking of starting a new one please take a minute and share it with us by leaving a comment below.

Here's to the "Roots Of Your Health!"

No comments:

Post a Comment